United States Citizenship & Immigration Services Information

USCIS Announces new procedures for obtaining Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunication (ADIT) Stamp

On March 16, 2023, USCIS announced a new procedure to obtain ADIT stamps, which constitute temporary evidence of permanent residence, typically issued while Form I-90, I-751, or N-400 applications are pending. This new procedure is due to USCIS’s delays in processing these applications.

Under the prior procedure, residents were required to call the USCIS Contact Center, request an InfoPass appointment, wait for that appointment to be scheduled, and then attend the appointment at the local USCIS Field Office to obtain the ADIT stamp in their passport. Due to delays at the Contact Center and limited InfoPass appointment availability, many residents were not able to get ADIT stamps in a timely manner.

Under the new procedure, USCIS will mail temporary evidence of permanent residence to those who request it. In order to make a request, residents must follow these steps:

  1. Call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283.
  2. Verify their identity and address with the USCIS officer.
  3. The officer will determine if an in-person InfoPass appointment is needed or if USCIS can provide an ADIT stamp through the mail.

An in-person appointment will be needed for those who urgently need an ADIT stamp, do not have a useable photo in the USCIS system (such as through prior biometrics collection), or in circumstances in which the USCIS officer cannot confirm the resident’s identity or address.

For those who do not need an InfoPass appointment, the USCIS Field Office that has jurisdiction over the resident will receive the resident’s information and will issue a Form I-94 with an ADIT stamp, DHS seal, and printed photo of the resident and mail it to them at the address they provided. This document will be valid for up to one year.

Only the following legal permanent residents can use this procedure:

  1. Legal permanent residents who do not have a green card (such as those who have been approved for residence and are waiting for their green card to be issued)
  2. Legal permanent residents with a Form I-90, I-751, or N-400 application pending and whose automatic extension (as listed on their receipt notice) has already expired

Please don’t hesitate to contact our office if you have any questions.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *